Saturday 20 March 2010

Review: To Aru Kagaku No Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun)


Okay, so one thing I will admit before getting this review on track - Railgun is not strictly yuri. Or, infact, there's not really much yuri at all, except for the glory of Shirai Kuroko's massive, gay love for Misaka Mikoto, the show's main protagonist. But don't let this discourage you from watching - there are moments! Just that her love for Misaka is not a side storyline. It's more just a regular occurance of happenings...if that makes sense at all. :|

Anyway, yes! Railgun is by far one of the most amazing, riveting series I have ever watched, regardless of the lack of yuri. I didn't begin to watch it for that, anyway - I wanted to watch something new and interesting, and this is exactly what I got. So for anybody who is reading this, yuri fan or not, you should definitely watch this if you like high amounts of action, pretty cool superpowers and a very intricate storyline. I sure know I do.

The plot of Railgun is a long one, and I'll enjoy typing this out if I'm completely honest. I can't wait to talk about Kuroko. I think she is solidified as one of my favourite characters from anything of all time. (Yes, that is how much I love this series.)
'To Aru Kagaku No Railgun' revolves primarily around the life of Misaka Mikoto, known as Tokiwadai's Railgun, one of only seven Level 5 students in the whole of Academy City. Academy City is a place where people go to find out their powers and if they can cultivate them into something to help out their country or themselves - anything literally from mindreading to the smallest thing, like keeping things at a constant temperature. There is also an organization called 'Judgement' which Kuroko and Uiharu are a part of, which help to serve the city against crime. Saten Ruiko, or more commonly known as Saten-san, is Uiharu's best friend and also very close with Misaka and Kuroko. The four girls have their own stories - except Misaka and Kuroko, who are more often together than not - and sometimes fillers are presented in Railgun which brings all of them together.

I love all of the characters in this one, particuarly the cameo appearances of Kongo Mitsuko, who thoroghly enjoys winding up Kuroko. Misaka is also another favourite of mine, purely because I like most others think she is quite cool, if not a little hostile - but I think my favourite if I had to choose would definitely be Kuroko.
Kuroko is the girl I mentioned earlier who has a massive infatuation with Misaka - this isn't some sisterly love, or some bullshit friendship-close love - Kuroko really LOVES Misaka. She wants to fuck the living shit out of her (as I read in another blog). And it's not made a secret of at all throughout Railgun - its quite often infact that Kuroko tries to get her way with Misaka. Molesting her briefly in the shower before she is kicked off, buying love potions to drug Misaka, dressing up in sexy lingerie, ambushing her, attempting to get an 'indirect kiss' by sharing food - you name it, and Kuroko has probably thought of it. However, the humour in which it is done makes it all the more brilliant - it leaves you laughing and it makes you ship Misaka/Kuroko (or maybe it doesn't! I guess that would depend on the person :D)

Anyway, overall, Railgun definitely gets a 10 out of 10 in my books. Amazing series, and the last episode is on tonight.

Thoughts/opinions are welcome as always.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love this superb anime series and just ordered this nice Certain Scientific Railgun anime series at PIJ. I like this anime and hope will get this one in a week.
    http://bit.ly/scientificrailgun

    ReplyDelete