Thursday 11 March 2010

Review: Candy Boy



Candy Boy! This is one of my favourite series. This is the story of Kanade and Yukino Sakurai, two twin sisters from a small country town, who have gone to high school in Tokyo, and it explores their daily life and their feelings for each other.

Now, as I was in your shoes once, don't be so quick to judge this series. I initially thought "ew, this is creepy, how can they feel that way? They're sisters!", but then I watched it, and it's actually one of the cutest series' I have ever seen. Honestly, you would not feel weird watching this series at all.
There is no actual explicit sexual context at all in Candy Boy, none at all. Or at least, not between Kana and Yuki - there is also another girl involved in their story, called Sakuya Kamiyama (who personally is my favourite character), a girl who is in love witih Kanade so much that she is actually obsessed to a point where she pays Yuki in snacks just for photographs of Kana to hang in her shrine. Yes, a shrine. I kid you not.
Candy Boy is just hilarious and actually, a very beautiful short series. The OVA was so popular that a series was made for them, and it was definitely worth it.

The story? There really IS no story to Candy Boy - it's a slice of life yuri series, that literally just does what I mentioned before; explores their feelings for one another. Yuki is more open about her love for Kana, whilst Kana is a little reserved about it, but I personally believe her to have the stronger feelings in the series. Poor Sakuya, however, is left unrequited, but still provides some much needed obsessive humour to the series.
This is definitely a yuri series, and is great for anybody who loves yuri and who thinks that they can overlook them being sisters, which really once you start watching is not that hard to do at all. It really is a very good series that I would truly recommend to yuri fans, plus, it is only seven episodes long (with some funny extras which you might be able to find subbed on YouTube).

Overall though, a 9/10 in my books. :D

Opinions/thoughts from anyone else are as always welcome! Remember, this is just my opinion - I don't want to shove my review down your throat. If you have your own things you would like to say, then please by all means feel free.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment