Monday 8 March 2010

Review: Kannazuki No Miko



Oh, Kannazuki No Miko. Where to begin?
This was the series that started my yuri love, personally. When I was 14 (I'm 18 now) I discovered a beautiful fanvideo made of these two, also known as Chikane Himemiya and Himeko Kurusugawa - the two girls in the spotlight in this series - and because I didn't know such things as fansubs existed, I never got around to watching it. However, last year, I managed to watch the whole thing, and let me tell you; it was SO worth it.

Kannazuki No Miko is the story of Chikane and Himeko, two maidens chosen by the gods to protect the world from the evil people called the Orochi, of which there are eight. Of course the Orochi will do anything and everything they can to kill Chikane and Himeko before they can kill them, using big, kick-ass robots to do so. However, one of the Orochi - Oogami Souma, a boy who was made part of the Orochi, has turned against his 'destiny' in order to protect the love of his life, Himeko. What he doesn't know, however, is that Himeko is also the love of another person's life - Chikane's.
I found KnM to be one of the most emotional series I had ever watched of anything, ever, whether it was yuri or not. I personally found Souma to be quite irritating (though in his defence, he did get Himeko and Chikane out of a scrap with the Orochi many a time), but I think that was only because I'm a fierce shipper of Chikane/Himeko. Chikane and Himeko are a canon couple, to those of you who think that it is all just boy/girl love and unrequited girl/girl love through the series.

There is only one scene throughout the series that I found a little difficult to watch - and this is a spoiler alert, so if you don't want to know, look away now! - which was the Chikane/Himeko yuri-rape scene. Chikane's goal is to make Himeko hate her, no matter how many of her own emotions she has to sacrifice by suffering, but she refuses to kill Himeko - so in turn tries to get Himeko to kill her. So, Chikane rapes her, and then almost kills Souma by blasting him into oblivion. Nice and happy, as I'm sure you can tell!

There is so much more to this series than I'm giving away - I could write pages and pages about its list of awesome-ness, but I'm having to restrain myself because I don't want it to be spoilt for first time viewers. It's one of the most beautiful, compelling and heart-breaking series I have ever watched, and one thing that I will say - MAKE SURE TO WATCH RIGHT UP UNTIL THE VERY END. Like, even though there's the credits in the last episode, there is another scene after those credits. Trust me, you will be glad to have known that information! I'm sure some people have gone away without ever knowing!
But overall, a fantastic, yuri-filled series, that I will never forget.

Overall review - 10/10. I love it. But of course, this is just my opinion.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Have you seen KNM and loved it or hated it? I'm interested in all kinds :D

Let me know! x

No comments:

Post a Comment